In addition to the standard User Fields provided in GeoMaster, Clients may add their own tabs and fields which can be configured in GeoMaster so that they appear within the GeoMaster forms, reports and can be used for querying.
These fields are known as Client Fields, and whereas the existing User Fields can only contain string values, Client Fields can be most data types – string, integer, datetime, float etc.
Client Fields can have picklists defined, or minimum and maximum values for validation. They are categorised into groups and presented as tabbed panels within relevant forms.
The forms that support Client Fields are: Forest, Compartment, Stand, Patch, Event, Block, Harvest Area, Setting and Skid.
Client Fields are available in the query module for querying and can be reported on using the Custom Report and can appear in standard reports (Stand Report, Event Preview, Stand Operations or Harvest Area reports).
In the example below a Client Field has been created at the Forest level for Distance to Market; breaking the distance up into Gravel and Sealed roads and in the forest and on public land.
Figure 1 – Example of a Client Field in the Forest Form
Creating Client Fields
The majority of the steps required to implement Client Fields can be undertaken by the Client; however there is one key step (Step 2 below) that must be undertaken by Interpine which involves creating the empty Client Fields in the appropriate Table in the database.
- Firstly decide at what level you want the Client Field(s) i.e. Forest, Compartment, Stand, Event, Harvest Area, Setting, or Skid.
- Create a Client Tab for the Client Field.
- Select Edit>Lookups
- From the drop down box select Client Tabs
- Choose your table you wish to add the Client Field to – in this example we are adding the field to the Forest level.
- Assign an appropriate Tab name. Note you can create several Client Tabs (and Client Fields) at each level.
Figure 2 – Setting Client Tabs in Look-Ups
- Create the empty Client Field in the database using SQL Management Studio and not GeoMaster – This step must be completed by Interpine. In order for Interpine to complete this on your behalf please provide the following:
- Name of the field(s) (this will be created with no gaps, for example Gravel Public Road will be created GravelPublicRoad as the table structure does not allow spaces).
- The data type of the field(s)
- The level (Table) you want the Client Field created in – Forest, Stand, Event etc.
Interpine will attempt to create any requested Client Fields in the Client’s database within the same day as requested or within 24hrs.
- Registering Client Fields in GeoMaster. Once Interpine has created the empty fields in the ‘back-end’ of the database the Client can then complete the process by registering the fields to the appropriate Client Tab.
- Select Edit>Lookups
- From the drop down box select Client Fields
- Select the Table and Tab as created in Step 1
- To add a field press Add and select the required field from the picklist – these are the fields created by Interpine in Step 2. Keep adding until all your fields are added
- The custom parameters are:
Units The units shown for the field (if required)
DecPlaces The number of decimal places shown for numeric
fieldsMinValue The minimum value allowed for numeric
fieldsMaxValue The maximum value allowed for numeric
fieldsReport (Y/N) Whether the field is listed on the default report for the table
Form Caption The caption used when displaying the field on a form
Report Caption The caption used when displaying the field on a report (Stand Report, Event Preview, Stand Operations or Harvest Area reports)
Figure 3 – Registering Client Fields in Look-Ups
When registering client fields for events you need to specify which event types each field applies to. Alternatively you can associate a field with all events (as shown below). Note that event forms will only display tabs for fields that are associated with that event type. For example, if you define a tab called “Conditions” for events, and it contains a field called “hindrance” which is only associated with Pruning and Assessment events, then only the Pruning and Assessment forms will display a Conditions tab. On the other hand, the Finances tab shown below will appear on all event forms because it contains the field Forecast which is associated with all events.
Figure 4– Client fields Geomaster forest management stand records GIS
If you want more information about GeoMaster provided by the cloud services at Interpine feel free to contact us.